One of the first pieces of advice you will hear when you announce your Naperville home remodeling project is to create a budget and stick to it. An added bit of advice would be to create a plan, but remain flexible.
Why Every Naperville Home Remodeling Project Should Start With A Plan
Every home remodeling project should start with a plan, even if it is as simple as “I’m going to replace the old tub with a new one.” Although that’s an extremely simple example of a plan, it still works! That’s because a plan should do three simple things:
- A) It should provide you with direction.
- B) It should clearly define what you intend to do.
- C) It should clearly define when you are done.
It is very easy to say you are going to do something, but without a plan in place, how do you know how to proceed, when to say “no,” and when the project is complete? Without a plan, it is very easy to go over budget and decide to add parts to the project here and there. The end result is a project you’ve overspent on and which goes on much longer than you’d anticipated if it ever gets finished at all! And the end result may not be what you had in mind at all. A plan eliminates these contingencies by providing you with a blueprint to follow, both literally and figuratively!
Creating A Home Remodeling Plan
- Determine Your End Goal. What are you hoping to accomplish with your Naperville home remodeling project? Are you adding on to the house or making better use of existing rooms? Are you gutting the kitchen or just updating it? These broad goals help define the scope of the plan and are a starting point for your budget. It is very, very easy to get distracted during a home remodeling project. There are so many things you could decide to add to your project or change. Your plan will keep you on track with the end goal in sight.
- Decide Who Does What. Are you a skilled do-it-yourselfer? Will you be handling the project yourself from start to finish, doing only part of it yourself, or leaving the entire project to the pros? Figure out ahead of time who will be responsible for what and what tools you’ll need to accomplish it, but be flexible. If the project becomes too much for you, call in some back up.
- Set A Realistic Timeframe, But Plan For Delays. Be realistic about the time it will take for the project to be completed, and then plan for delays. You will be much happier and less stressed if you build in delay time before he project starts. Delays happen for all sorts of reasons: weather, supply problems, unanticipated discoveries when walls are removed, etc. If you build in time for these sorts of delays, you will not stress out as much when they happen. And if they never happen, well then, your project will get finished ahead of schedule!
- Align The Plan To Your Budget. Yes, we are back to that first piece of advice about creating a budget and sticking to it. The nice thing about a plan, though, is being able to map out your costs ahead of time and budget accordingly. You will be able to take your time to make the hard financial decisions before you get started, not in the heat of the project moment. When the project is complete, you can look back and say you stuck to your budget, all thanks to the planning work you did ahead of time.
That said, plans are just that, plans. They are ideas, suggestions, and guidelines. They are not set in stone, nor should they be. A plan needs to remain flexible, because every Naperville home remodeling project is certain to turn up something unexpected. You and your plan should have the flexibility to be able to adapt and adjust to those unexpected surprises and you will probably need a good home cleaning service to start off your home in a clean manner. If you go into your project with this mindset and have trust in your Naperville home remodeling contractor, you will have a much less stressful experience and be happier with your end result.
Learn More About Naperville Home Remodeling Plans At Synergy Builders
Synergy Builders follows a 6-step home remodeling process that includes significant time spent on designing and developing your plan to ensure you are 100% satisfied with our process and the end result. To learn more about our process, projects, and capabilities visit our process page for more details.