Planning A Luxury Bathroom Renovation? Here’s How To Decide What Features To Include
Because kitchens and baths are such integral parts of the home, they tend to garner the most attention – and the highest ROI – in the remodeling department. Upgrades and renovations to these rooms also tend to have some of the highest returns on investment when it comes to home remodeling projects.
If you’re considering a luxury bathroom renovation, there is no shortage of opulent features to incorporate – but, how do you choose?
Ask Yourself These Questions Before You Begin Your Bathroom Renovation
When selecting which features you will include in your luxury bathroom renovation, the answer will likely depend on a couple factors:
- How long do you plan to stay in the home? If you see yourself relocating and selling in a few years, it will make more sense to choose popular features that prospective buyers will find valuable and universally appealing. If you see yourself in your home until you retire, you can take more liberties with personalizing the space and adding unique features to suit your taste.
- What features fit your budget? Luxury bathroom renovations are not cheap, but they’re also not all created equal. For one homeowner, adding a heated floor and glass surround shower is a luxury bathroom renovation; for another, constructing an addition that allows for a fireplace and sitting area in the bathroom fits their definition (and budget).
What Is A Luxury Bathroom Renovation?
While everyone’s definition of a luxury bathroom renovation may vary slightly based on their desires and budgets, we can look at the description for “upscale” bathroom remodels from Remodeling Magazine’s Cost vs. Value resource as a baseline. It includes:
- Expanding the footprint of the bathroom from 35 SF to 100 SF
- Moving all fixtures for better use of space
- 42×42 glass surround shower with ceramic tile walls and upgraded spray fixtures
- Jacuzzi tub
- Stone vanity with two sinks
- Mirrored medicine cabinets with lighting
- Separate water closet for one-piece toilet
- Exhaust fan with humidity control
- Large ceramic floor tiles laid on the diagonal
- General, spot lighting, and waterproof shower lighting
- Built-in wall cabinet and custom drawer base
- Heated floors and towel bars
For this level of upscale bathroom remodel in the East North Central region, which includes Chicago and the surrounding areas, the average cost is $58,200. The average value is $32,769, which equates to a 56.3% return on your investment.
Features To Consider For Your Upscale Bathroom
If your vision of a luxury bathroom renovation exceeds these standards, there are many features you can add to make your bathroom a well-appointed retreat. Keep in mind that some of these features are personal preference and where you decide you can’t live without them, a future buyer might not feel the same about a paying a premium for them. This is why it’s important to balance what you want with what’s practical on the resale market.
For the ultimate luxury bathroom renovation, you might consider:
- High-end materials (Carrara marble, crystal, gold plated finishes)
- Working fireplace and sitting area
- Separate dressing room and vanity
- Walk through and two-person shower with multiple showerheads and separate temperature controls
- Chromotherapy tubs and showers
- Television and built-in waterproof Bluetooth speakers
- Morning bar with filtered water, mini fridge and coffee maker
- Fine art and custom-painted wall murals
- Stained glass windows
Call Synergy Builders Today For Your Complimentary Consultation
If you’re in the Naperville and greater Chicagoland area, Synergy Builders is the award-winning design build home remodeling company you want on your side. View our portfolio of upscale bathroom remodeling jobs, then give us a call at 630.293.8070 for a complimentary consultation to get your luxury bathroom renovation started.