Preparing for Basement Remodeling
There are often times when we go to our basement to take out holiday decorations or to find some old clothes, that we realize this basement is truly the stuff of nightmares. Your basement is probably dark, a little damp, depending on how often you frequent it, full of spiders, and if your basement is unfinished you are losing out on valuable living space that could be put to use if were finished, without losing storage space.
A finished basement adds another dimension to your home and can be a place to get away on those long days. It can be a man-cave or another living space. Depending on your direction and intentions, remodeling and finishing your basement can also be used as another floor with bedrooms, a bathroom, and even a kitchen.
There are a lot of factors to consider and prepare for when it comes to basement remodeling and it is best if you have a vision and a plan. Make sure you cover all factors in your preparation to get the most out of your basement remodeling project.
What You Can do Before Your Basement Remodeling Project Begins
- Understand your space- Make sure you understand what needs to be done for your basement remodeling project. Take into consideration things such as wires, pipes and low ceilings. If your basement is not finished, you are going to most likely want pipes and other eye sores out of sight. This means the ceilings may be lower in some areas. Also, be aware of moisture. Is water getting into your basement? If so, what can you do to stop it or these issues can come back to haunt you after your basement is finished if not addressed, costing you money.
- What is the purpose- What is your finished basement going to be used for? Is it going to be used as an additional living level? If so, you may be thinking of adding a bathroom and perhaps a kitchen so you are going to want to locate these close to the waste line and water lines. Is it going to be the ever so coveted man-cave? If that is your intention, then chances are you are going to incorporate some type of home theater and need to consider how you can maximize the space, while conveniently covering speaker and tv wires.
- Budget– After you have decided the intentions of your soon to be remodeled basement, budget accordingly and make sure you have a contingency in case issues arise that may lead to you going over your budget.
Yes, there is more, but it is necessary to ensure that your basement remodeling project runs as smoothly as possible. These are still in preparation for basement remodeling, but at least you have the key points addressed and you’re ready to move to the next steps.
- Contractors- It may be very tempting to take on the task of remodeling your basement on your own. If you are not aware of what goes into basement remodeling, it would be in your best interests, safely and financially to consult with and hire basement remodeling contractors. Make sure they are qualified and experienced. Check for licensing and if possible reviews and affiliations.
- Insulate the walls- If you are finishing your basement, it goes without question, you need to insulate your walls. Not only will this help to keep your new hangout, living space, or family space regulated at a decent temperature, but it will help you save on energy costs because you want your basement to be as comfortable as the rest of your home. This of course will take place during the actual basement remodeling process, but it should be a given during the preparation and pre-planning.
- PERMITS- Before your basement remodeling project is underway, make sure you are aware of any ordinances or laws in your city pertaining to home remodeling and renovation. Each town may have a different set of rules and require a permit to begin any work on the home. This way, you can prepare accordingly to the rules in place.
- Know where- Like any home remodeling project, you want to know where the contractors are going to be walking through to get to and from the materials and tools so prepare accordingly.
Basement Remodeling Contractors
If you are in need of basement remodeling contractors, call Synergy Builders today at 630-293-8070.