In Naperville, basement remodeling offers incredible untapped potential for enhancing a home. Unfinished basements in particular give homeowners a blank slate with which they can do almost anything. While the man cave has become a popular Naperville basement remodeling goal, it is far from the only option available to homeowners who are eager to make use of this space.
Naperville Basement Remodeling Ideas For Everyone
A basement remodel really depends on the style and size of the home and how the project will support your family’s needs. Some homes, older ones in particular, just do not have enough space for today’s families and the basement is looked upon as a place to add a new bedroom or two without adding to the footprint of the home. Other homes may have enough bedroom space, but lack informal gathering areas, hence, the basement recreational room or “rec room”.
Here are some ideas that go beyond the rec room concept and will make any basement more usable.
- The Home Office. Even with the rise of mobile computing and the lesser need for desk space, there is still a need for a home office. As more and more people work from home either full time or part time, they need a dedicated workspace, charging station, and quiet area to take phone calls that is well away from the rest of the home. The quiet environment of the basement is perfect for this.
- Bedrooms Or Guest Rooms. Some basements make great bedrooms, and especially guest rooms. They are away from the rest of the house, offering guests added privacy, and unlike primary bedrooms, they can sit clean and unused until guests arrive. Unlike bedrooms that you inherit with the house, a Naperville basement remodeling lets you decide what size room you are going to create. Basement guest rooms can be made spacious enough to be comfortable, but small enough to leave room for other uses in the basement.
- The Mother-In-Law Suite. A step above the guest bedroom, a mother-in-law suite is a mini-apartment in the basement. They typically have a bedroom area, a bathroom with a shower and/or tub, and sometimes even a kitchenette. Homes that have a walkout basement are particularly good candidates for this feature, because they make it possible to add a private entrance to the home through the basement and into the suite.
- A Game Room, Exercise Room, Or Play Room. Playing on the Rec Room concept, you could finish off the basement and leave a large open area. As the family changes and kids grow, the room could see many different functions. Starting off as a safe play area, away from stairs, for babies and toddler, moving up to a game room and movie room for older kids and even an exercise room for teens and empty nesters.
- A Music Room. If you have a music lover in the family, a dedicated music room is a great use for the basement. All of the instruments can be kept in one place and you can finish off the walls and ceilings in the room with special acoustics to muffle the sound from the outside, but keep it sounding great in the room.
- Mom’s Retreat. If Dad can have a man cave, why can’t mom have her own space? Craft rooms, scrapbooking rooms and dedicated hobby rooms have all become hugely popular Naperville basement remodeling projects. This is because Moms need to get in on the action of having their own space, too.
The Possibilities Are Endless
When it comes to basement remodeling, the possibilities truly are endless. Basements no longer have to be dark, dank places where we store holiday decoration or do the laundry. Even a simple remodeling project can completely transform the way a family uses their basement, and their home.
To learn more about Naperville basement remodeling visit Synergy Builders. We love helping homeowners realize their home’s potential and make remodeling dreams come true!